Friday 17 December 2010

Rusumo Falls

Out of my mishanana from the day before and into my combat trousers, I was feeling much more comfortable as I walked down the road from my house towards the bus park. I was meeting other volunteers at Rusumo Falls this morning (Sunday 21st November), which lies on the border between Rwanda and Tanzania and is only about an hour from where I am currently living. I had heard it was a small waterfall, that was most impressive in the rainy season and so this was the best time to go.
There was no sign of rain today though as the sun glinted off the hillsides on the journey into Kirehe District. I had had to wait a very long time to get on a mini-bus and was feeling a little grumpy when I finally did set off in the right direction, but the views here have a wonderful effect on my mood! I couldn’t help but smile as we journeyed down valleys and up hillsides, alongside banana trees and lush rice paddies and with waving children around every corner.
When I arrived and met the others, I had to show the officials my passport and then I was allowed onto the bridge which is a sort of ‘no mans' land’ between Rwanda and Tanzania to watch the waterfall crashing onto the rocks below. I was very excited by the fact that one side of the bridge was officially Tanzania and the other was Rwanda! I was also delighted that the river I could see is linked to the River Nile!

Me, Rose and Cathy about to cross the bridge to see Rusumo falls.

2 comments:

  1. To miss lamborn have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

    kieran
    p.s. is that foter graf of your her a joke
    p.p.s my babby brother keeps on foling on his tummy bye for now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miss Lamborn, I hope you had a good Christmas and i wish you a very Happy New Year from Ryan

    ReplyDelete